I see a lot on community FB pages this question: Who does everyone recommend for a groomer? It is fantastic when we get recommended! Believe me in the business world a good Google review is Gold!
However, I often think when I see this question; this is not the question you should be asking.
You need to ask yourself what is best for me and my dog?
Here is what you as a pet parent need to consider when picking a groomer.
- Do you want a place that has one drop off time? Because you work all day, and need to pick your dog up at the end of the day?
- Do you want your dog to get groomed at the same place they have a daycare?
- Do you have a budget? This is important because like hair salons not all dog groomers charge the same rate. The cost of doing business varies from business to business. Most salons raise prices once a year, to give employee's raises.
- Do you want a crate free place?
- Do you want your dog groomed straight through? Meaning you drop off, and pick up when they are finished.
- Does the salon have safety protocols? Like the 3 lines of defense? Are they an AKC salon safety certified salon?
- Are they Pet CPR and First aid trained? Do they renew it every 2 years?
- Do you want a "spa" experience for your pet?
- Do want someone who grooms out of their home or that comes to you?
- Do you want someone who keeps up on their education? Or do you want someone with years of experience who doesn't keep up on education?
- Do want a groomer who grooms at a Vet's office?
- Do you want a place that smells, and looks clean?
- Do you want to pay for upgrades? Or packages? Or do you want everything included? What do you want done to your dog while being groomed? Ear cleaning, anal glands.....
- Is your dog have a bit of an attitude? There are some groomers who specialize in aggressive dogs.
- Is your dog a senior dog? Are they certified in senior pets, can they handle a senior pet?
- Is your groomer moving away? See who they recommend in the area.
We know here at Dog-a-holick know that we are not for everyone, and we are okay with that. As we want you to find a place you feel comfortable with. You should always check out their website, and social media. Look at the hair cuts, and also look in the background. Does it look like a place you want to bring your pet every 6-8 weeks?
Photo Credit Petsworld